Is there a legal principle or process that can be used to ask a court in the US - either at the time of filing or during a legal proceeding - to consider recusing an attorney from the opposing side due to a perceived conflict of interest?

What is the name(s) of the process or principle? (So individual state codes can be referred to).

  • Jurisdiction please?
    – cpast
    Oct 23, 2015 at 2:58
  • @cpast, as in civil or criminal, or country? (I'm a newby here) Oct 23, 2015 at 3:01
  • Country, or subnational jurisdiction if you have it (e.g. US state)
    – cpast
    Oct 23, 2015 at 3:02
  • @cpast, USA.... Oct 23, 2015 at 3:02
  • Any particular state you're interested in?
    – cpast
    Oct 23, 2015 at 3:04

1 Answer 1


You can't normally ask the court to "recuse" an attorney, because "recusal" is normally restricted to the judge leaving the case. The more common term is moving to disqualify opposing counsel.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .