Jurisdiction in in the USA . I do have children and want them to have my assets should my wife remarry and --pass away-- and not to her second spouse. We are writing our will out and someone mentioned to us that if either one of us should remarry and die - any assets would go to the surviving spouse instead of to our children. I want my assets to stay within our current family and want to know of a legal way to do this.


Don’t give them to your wife

A bequest is a gift and gift’s can’t have conditions subsequent (conditions precedent are OK - like the one where you have to be dead first). It’s a funny thing, but when you no longer own something you no longer get a say in what happens to it.

So you have two options:

  1. Trust your wife to do the right thing by her kids after you’re gone.
  2. Bypass your wife and give your stuff to your kids directly. You can set up a trust with a trustee you trust and rules for them to follow until your kids are old enough to manage the wealth themselves.

And one essential requirement:

  1. Hire a lawyer.
|improve this answer|||||

Someone I know has a trust from their parents that says they can use the money during their life for their needs (and lists a fairly comprehensive set of examples) and upon her death the remainder goes to their children. I think you can has some control over what happens to your money after you die.

Your attorney may be able to structure a trust like that where the surviving spouse does not the money outright but through a trust with provisions you desire relative to any remainder going to your children. I assume you want this to be symmetric - your second (or N+1th) wife not getting the family's wealth.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.