If a person (not a senior citizen) is addicted and trying to sell off his farming land (which has been inherited from his grandfather and later through his father) without the consent his wife and children, is there anything that can be done to stop this transaction?

  • You can claim property rights and claim your portions. I don't think you can stop him from selling his portion. He is entitled to his portion.
    – Wally
    Apr 18 '16 at 12:13
  • This will be a comment only as I am not well versed in Indian law but one avenue elsewhere would be placing the person under legal guardianship which would remove his right to enter into binding agreements.
    – chx
    Jun 9 '16 at 2:20
  • In other jurisdictions (I'm thinking on Spain) a prodigal person can be put under legal guardianship only in the extent needed to supply aliment to the people he is obliged to do so.
    – Pere
    Jul 29 '16 at 18:08

No. As long as it is owned by him he is free to do as he likes. The wife / children do not have any claims as it is ancestral property and they can have a claim only after his demise. Until then, he is free to do as he likes legally.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.