Although not exactly the same scenario, it is related philosophically to the Ship of Theseus.
Okay, so Eve stills a bunch of ship parts from Bob and the design for a super-ship from Alice. Eve uses Alice's design to make a ship from Bob's parts. She is later arrested. Eve also has no money or assets (she destroyed her tool box).
So now we have a ship. The parts are owned by Bob, and the design by Alice. Who owns the ship.
- The estimated value of the parts and the design is the same. (The parts are quite expensive, and the design required extensive R&D).
- The whole ship has value equal to the combined value of the parts and design (Eve is an expert ship builder).
- If the ship is disassembled, Bob's parts will be ruined and have no value.
- Whoever owns the ship will be able to get Alice's design. If anyone besides Alice learns about Alice's design, she will lose all ability to make money off of it.
- Alice and Bob will not compromise; they both feel entitled to the whole ship, and will not agree to anything else.