My great-grandfather was born in Italy and emmigrated from there when he was 16 years old. He married and died in Brazil, and his daughter (also born in Brazil) is my grandmother.

To obtain an Italian passport, I was informed by the consulate in my state of Brazil that the process could be faster if the situation of my great-grandfather in the prefecture was updated. That is, if someone could go there and deliver his marriage and death certificates (translated to Italian) and thus this would be annotated in his birth certificate.

I went there and delivered the documents. However, they phoned me 6 months later saying that they weren't sure that I was able to do this update (they checked my ID, however they did not ask for any proof that I am indeed his great-grandson). I was left wondering: Who can do that? Do I have the authorization to do it?

Thanks in advance

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.