I understand a guardian can restrict communications of a ward if the guardian deems a person is a threat to the wards health,financial situation or well being. Does this include allowing for a guardian to petition for a TRO on behalf of the ward in court, without consent from the ward?


1 Answer 1


Generally speaking, a guardian can obtain a protection order or equivalent remedy on behalf of a ward. It may even be possible for a "next friend" of a person for whom a protection order is sought to obtain this relief without a formal guardianship appointment at the outset.

In some places, local practice would be to join the person against whom the protective order is sought as a party in the guardianship case, and in some places, local practice would be for the guardian to do so in a separate lawsuit. I don't know how this is usually handled in Hawaii, and it wouldn't necessarily be obvious on the face of the relevant statutes.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .