I recently found two 100$ bills on the grass in the space between my house and the neighbor's house. I asked my neighbor (who isn't a very trustworthy person) if it was his, and his response makes me very suspicious he's lying. The conversation went something like this:
- Me: Hey, did you lose anything recently?
- Him: No, why?
- Me: I found some cash in my front yard.
- Him: Oh right! I just remembered! It must have fallen out of my pocket when I was mowing the grass this morning.
- Me: Didn't you mow the grass just two days ago?
- Him: I missed a spot.
- Me: How much did you lose, and in bills of which size?
- Him: Why the **** are you asking me that? Just give me my money.
- Me: Because I want to make sure it's yours.
- Him: Just give back my ******* money before I call the police.
- Me: I'll give it to you if you just answer my question.
- Him: You don't trust your own ****** neighbor?! If I don't get it back by tomorrow I'm calling the police. [He slams the door in my face.]
What does the law say about money found like this?