This question concerns Switzerland, but I suppose this can apply to many countries with similar rules.

When a foreigner (non-CH or EU citizen) applies for a student (B) permit, this person has to provide a written formal commitment to leave the country once the studies are over.

If the person, during the studies, decides to get married with a Swiss citizen, and later on requests a B permit allowing the spouses to live together, could the previous commitment be a problem in any way ? For example, could the authorities refuse to recognize/perform the marriage because it would break such commitment ? Or, after the marriage, refuse the B permit usually provided to Swiss citizen's spouse, for the same reason ?

I did not find anything about this online. I know exactly what is required for the student permit application form, as well as for the marriage, but did not find anything that directly answers this question.

1 Answer 1


Switzerland is a member of the Council of Europe, and has ratified the European Convention on Human Rights. This explicitly recognizes the right to a family life, which directly protects marriage (Article 8 ECHR). As such, it ranks above Swiss national law. And you're right, the same applies to other CoE members including all EU members.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .