Here is a quick summary of my situation:
- April 2018: leased an apartment in Chicago until September 2019
- June 2019: extended lease for 12 months
- July 2019: loss of job
- September 2019: accepted a job offer in California.
- October 2019: Moved to California
Worked with the landlord to find a person to take over my apartment. The apartment was leased. I am a cosigner (my mistake, but nonetheless I am on the hook). One year passes by.
- June 2020: landlord sends me a balance notice of $4k to mee threatening collection since the person moved out earlier than the lease extension has expired.
Since I made a mistake and cosigned a lease I am on the hook and in the process of negotiation with the landlord hoping to reduce $4k burden since it is a lot for me
My question to the community is whether I can come after the person who took over my lease and sue them.
I am currently residing in CA, and the apartment is in IL. I do not know much about the person that took over my lease except their name. Can I file a suit against that person in a small claim court and if so, how can I manage this if I am in CA and the court is in IL?
What are my options?