A person quits their job non-COVID related reasons. The person moves out of the state and abandoned the home. During that time, this person makes a request to receive COVID relief on their mortgage.

Is this illegal? Also does the spouse have a legal obligation to report it?

  • There are quite a lot of COVID-related mortgage-relief programs, and the answer may depend on which one is involved. Which program, specifically, are you talking about?
    – bdb484
    Sep 17 '20 at 3:10
  • Said individual could say they could not find a job in their new locale because the economy tanked. Or because the kiddo can’t go to school. The program really only says “pandemic related financial hardship.” Mixing divorce/custody dispute and some unrelated law the other party is purportedly violating rarely helps..
    – Damila
    Sep 17 '20 at 3:48
  • 1
    Your question is very unclear and poorly written, not to mention the multitude of gaps that make it unanswerable. Who do you mean by "they"? what do you mean by a person [in singular] quitting "their" [in plural] job? whose spouse are you asking about? Sep 17 '20 at 8:30
  • I'm not sure which mortgage-relief program. The person is a nurse and has not experienced any difficulty finding a job.
    – LawCurious
    Sep 17 '20 at 18:00

Disclaimer: Assuming you meant USA

No. The criteria are so vague that it can include almost anything, like cannot find a new job because everything is down, extra expenses, etc:

For homeowners with mortgages covered by the CARES Act, you only need to explain that you have a pandemic-related financial hardship, directly or indirectly related to the pandemic.

(Emphasis added)


As noted in a comment by @bdb484, there are different programs, so it might depend which one and which relief.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.