A couple of days ago I came into contact with a store detective after a quite expensive shopping trip. The shoplifting gate-thingy went off (there's more to it but no need to drag it out) and when I was already outside, the store detective approached me, eventually even grabbed me and tried to rip my shopping bag off my shoulder. I had to call for help and the guy only let go when he saw other people approaching to help me.
He was later joined by a second "detective" and they both refused to let me leave (cornered me in front of a different store) - they didn't even want to let me use the toilet. Eventually the police showed up, checked my bag (the second "detective" looked at the receipt to check) and proved that I indeed hadn't stolen anything, as I'd said at least 10 times.
I can't find any information about Austria, so I hope that someone here'll be able to help me: What is a store detective legally allowed to do?
- Do I have to answer any questions (e.g. if I bought anything at that store)?
- Do I have to show them a receipt?
- Are they allowed to check my backpack/shopping bag/... without my permission?
- Are they allowed to grab someone without consent?
- Are they allowed to take away a bag forcefully?
- Are they allowed to follow me outside the shop?
- When the police show up, does any of that change or are only they allowed to check my bag,...?
So basically: What can I do now? I'm not physically hurt but I'm completely over the place since then - not sleeping well, getting kind of shaky when I think about this (and incredibly angry)?