I've had a peculiar situation recently while buying a house in Washington:
- During the initial viewing I've noticed that the garage is full of boxes with various items
- After signing the purchase document the boxes were still there
- During the final pre inspection (one week before closing) the boxes were still there and my closing agent notified the seller about it
- After closing and getting the keys, the boxes were still there
- The seller finally picked up their stuff a few days afterwards
But this made me curious - could I have refused to let the seller to pick up their stuff after officially becoming the owner of the property? The common sense perspective is that the house is transferred "as is" and since the seller was warned about the remaining boxes, they should've picked them up before completing the sale or else they've forfeited their rights.