Say that a hobbyist DJ purchases CDs, digital tracks and what are known as mixtapes (free music) and slows them down or things like that. If that DJ wants to share the result of this, is it legal to upload and try to monetize it?

Let's say that the DJ also places small sample noises to signify that it’s their work.

1 Answer 1



These are derivative works and making them is copyright breach.

Doing this as a hobby or even for the entertainment of friends in private is likely fair use. Distribution or performance in public (monitored or not) is likely not fair use and you would need a licence.

Here is a summary of the relevant law in .

  • Okay then a license it is, is this a state license? Would I be able to produce and distribute anything I wanted?
    – Johnny T
    Commented Nov 5, 2020 at 19:37
  • 1
    @JohnnyT it’s a licence issued by each individual copyright holder. In some countries, there is a body authorised by law to collect statutory royalties on music performance but for re-recording, for most you need to find and get permission from the copyright holder and pay them the royalties you agree with them.
    – Dale M
    Commented Nov 5, 2020 at 20:38
  • As man that sounds like a headache, and a waiting process.
    – Johnny T
    Commented Nov 5, 2020 at 21:10
  • @JohnnyT man if someone was monetizing your work (with additional production of their own) would you have no objections? Would you not hold them liable for not trying to make a deal with you?
    – Greendrake
    Commented Nov 5, 2020 at 23:54
  • There’s about 5-10 major music labels I’d have to write in and persuade to allow me to reproduce purchased content.
    – Johnny T
    Commented Nov 6, 2020 at 1:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .