I heard that in order to make a paternity test in Germany, the consent of both spouses is needed. If the husband has doubts about whether he is the father of a child born in wedlock, can he insist on such a test in order to avoid paying child support in the event of a divorce?


Yes, a father can contest paternity

A man married to the mother at the time of birth is legally the father. He has 2 years to contest this in court. Without going into details, the court has the power to order a paternity test if necessary.

  • The important part is that he has to go through court. He can't just send a sample to a lab for testing without consent of the mother. If the child is not a minor, they would also have to agree to a paternity test that hasn't been mandated by court. – Roland Nov 24 '20 at 14:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.