I have been a victim of online fraud. A large amount of money flowed from my account to various (around 10) Bank of America/PayPal accounts in the US. I have filed a police report. The police report mentions the account holders names with account numbers redacted.

I have found two of the perpetrators and have filed a civil lawsuit against them to recover whatever money I can. But I am having a hard time figuring out the contact information of the rest of the perpetrators. Since I have a police report and my account shows the bank transfers, can I issue a subpoena to the bank via the court to give me the contact information of the perpetrators?

  • 1
    Be aware that theres a good likelihood that the other accounts are also stolen or used without the owners knowledge or permission - routing through several stolen accounts is a common approach to money laundering.
    – user28517
    Dec 28, 2020 at 7:01

1 Answer 1


Generally, this is allowed under the civil procedure rules of most U.S. jurisdictions. The fact that there is a live suit against some named defendants helps a great deal. The process for doing so isn't necessarily uniform, however, in every U.S. state.

  • Thank you. To issue a subpeona to access their bank info, I will need to serve the other party (that I am trying to access their bank info) . I guess this is part of the sub peona process. But since I don't have their address, I cannot serve them. So it's a chicken and egg situation. Any help? Thank you.
    – mildman
    Feb 1, 2021 at 4:11
  • @mildman If you can use the pre-existing case, you can serve on the last known address by mail. If you need to start a new case, you can hire a skip-trace firm to find their address. Generally there must be some way to communicate if there is an action in which the funds are being garnished and one could get a judge to authorize substituted service in that case or otherwise issues orders in that case so that you don't need to start a new case.
    – ohwilleke
    Feb 2, 2021 at 23:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.