• A is a male who married B, a woman, in India under Hindu religion.
  • A had never met B, and relied on photographs and the efforts of third parties.
  • The marriage is less than 2 months old.
  • A is of the opinion that B has a masculine appearance and acts in a characteristically male manner.
  • A currently lives in the U.S.
  • A wants a divorce and anticipates that B will resist his efforts to divorce.


  • Can A successfully file for divorce or have the marriage annulled?
  • What defenses can B assert to stop a divorce or annulment?
  • 1
    To prospective close-voters - consider whether the underlying and answerable question might be is misrepresentation grounds for nullifying a marriage?
    – jimsug
    Dec 25 '15 at 15:16
  • 2
    @SurijahMann I don't think that's what jimsug meant. I think he meant misrepresentation by your wife / through the pictures you received.
    – dreamer
    Dec 25 '15 at 15:26
  • 2
    A woman with a masculine appearance and acting in a "characteristically male manner" is not commiting "gender fraud".
    – YviDe
    Dec 26 '15 at 8:25
  • 2
    "Masculine appearance" and "masculine voice" means that a huge, huge, huge piece of evidence is missing.
    – gnasher729
    Dec 27 '15 at 12:39
  • 3
    I've read up on India's laws and it seems that there are grounds for annulment in India if consent to marriage was given by fraud. I would strongly recommend you contact a divorce attorney in India. It also seems like the statue of limitations for seeking this type of annulment is 1 year.
    – Viktor
    Dec 27 '15 at 15:37

First, it is quite unlikely that a US court would take on the case. Someone will have more details, but for example in EU law if you move away from the place you last lived together, you can only file for divorce in the country where your partner is living (in this case, India). Annullment is a much more serious matter than divorce, so I doubt any American court would take this case: Annulment would mean that a US court would have to decide that an Indian registry office didn't do its job right.

Second, A needs convincing evidence. Frankly, "masculine appearance" and "typical masculine voice" are just opinions and therefore not evidence. Even if the court were convinced that B has a "masculine appearance" that's not evidence for being a male. A has to show the evidence, and as half of us know and the other half learned in their biology lessons, there is some pretty convincing evidence that someone is a man which A didnt' mention. And I'd ask anyone not to edit this out, because it is quite essential to the case. B doesn't have to visit a doctor and get a statement that she is a woman (which would destroy any case immediately), because based on the available evidence, A will lose the case anyway.

On the other hand, after that court case has finished, B can at any time (after appropriate waiting times according to US law) come to the USA and file for divorce.

  • The original poster was up front. The question was edited to use A and B by someone else. The implication that the the original poster is somehow hiding something by using A and B rather than direct references, is a bit underserved.
    – Scott
    Dec 27 '15 at 18:23
  • 4
    That's a rubbish edit then.
    – gnasher729
    Dec 27 '15 at 23:29
  • Just use DNA tests
    – user4234
    Mar 23 '18 at 23:33

To answer the question about gender:

In jurisdictions that do not allow same-sex marriages, a marriage is automatically considered invalid if it is discovered after the marriage that both partners are of the same sex.

  • In the US and the UK, this is called a void marriage (not to be confused with a voidable marriage, which is one that is not automatically void, but only if one partner requests it in court).
  • In Germany, it would simliarly be a Nichtehe (literally "non-marriage").
  • In India, the Hindu Marriage Act also defines a "void marriage" with similar rules. However, it does not explicitly mention same-sex marriages, so whether such a marriage is void would probably depend on interpretation by the court.

Note: Even if the marriage is not automatically void because of the same gender, it might still be void or voidable because of deception (if that can be proved). For example, in Germany a marriage is voidable (but not void) if one partner deceived the other to make them agree to the marriage.

That is a different question, however...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.