Let's say I've legally purchased a copy of
Best Book Ever.pdf, and the item is copyrighted and I'm not allowed to publish it. Can I encrypt it and store it online on an open server without telling anyone the password? If yes, can I circumvent the "no publishing" restriction by simply setting a weak password and uploading it online, such that anyone can download and crack the password?
- The file is hosted on a public server. Everyone knows it's there and what it is.
- The file is encrypted with an unknown but very weak password
- Anyone who downloads the file and cracks the password is doing so illegally without my consent. I simply don't report most cases.
- Without the password, the file is just another blob of random data
- If someone reports me for copyright infringement, I can say that they stole my file without my consent, as it was encrypted (2).
Question: Can I use point 5 to invalidate the evidence?