An independent consultant working from home in India wishes to incorporate as a one-person-company to cater to clients who won't contract with individuals. Will his residential address get/have to get re-classified as commercial (under The Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act 1961 pdf) if it is used as registered address for the one-person-company?

More information in response to comments:

State: Karnataka

100% remote consulting

No separate office.

Nature of business: Consulting on digital transformation.

  • This might be better asked at SE:Law. Apr 9 at 6:45
  • 2
    In which Indian state is the premises? Will clients visit or is all the consulting carried out remotely? Is there a separate office etc set aside exclusively for the business or will it be a shared domestic area?
    – Rock Ape
    Apr 9 at 7:48
  • 2
    Also, what is the nature of the business? The Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act 1961 was amended (in 2001) to include some exemptions for Information Technology services.
    – Rock Ape
    Apr 9 at 11:48

No, it would be the other way round: If you are at a residential address, you may not be able to run a business that interferes with other residential addresses. It would depend on exactly what you are doing - if your work involves clients visiting and your neighbours complain, you may have to stop doing this.

  • Can you tell us from which passage of Indian law you got that information?
    – Philipp
    Apr 9 at 8:06
  • 1
    @Philipp I agree that would be nice, and could prove surprising, but this would be the default understanding of how zoning is defined. Apr 9 at 8:40
  • 2
    Different Indian states often have there own nuanced legislation so a complete answer will/may depend where the premises is located.
    – Rock Ape
    Apr 9 at 8:50
  • Exactly. "Stupid" examples that do have no client visits at all are i.e. an IT contractor - he may bed a business by law, but he may not even work out of his address.
    – TomTom
    Apr 9 at 10:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.