When making a visa application in the U.K. for a sponsor to invite a foreigner to marry there is a section in the application that asks "What is your relationship to SPONSOR'S NAME"? There are three options: 1) Fiancé, 2) Proposed civil partner, 3) Unmarried partner. How do these differ in matters of requirements for the application? Do they offer different outcomes for the visa application? Does one involve a marriage whereas the other not? I found online various sources from solicitor's websites but I want something detailed preferably from an official government's website such as the https://www.legislation.gov.uk/.

  • 1
    Lying about it makes 100% sure your application and future applications will fail. So the best answer by far is the one that is true.
    – gnasher729
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 19:11
  • 1
    Thanks for your comment. Will take it into consideration. Nonetheless, my intention is not to lie, but to clear things out. From my understanding for the Fiance, you need to marry in the future but in the other, you need to show that you cohabitated instead. These nuances are not explicit to me.
    – 20-roso
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 19:19
  • 1
    My oh my, the Brits love their fine distinctions. I agree that it could be puzzling.
    – ohwilleke
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 19:32
  • Hehehe, thanks.
    – 20-roso
    Commented Apr 14, 2021 at 19:35

1 Answer 1

  1. Fiancé is someone you intend to marry in the future, usually the near future but some engagements last many years and some break down.
  2. Proposed civil partner is someone you intend to enter into a legal Civil Partnership with. This is a formal registration of your coupleness with the government but it is not marriage. Until 2019, civil unions were restricted to same gender couples but are now open to couples of any gender.
  3. Unmarried partner is someone you intend to form a relationship with, usually sexual and monogamous, but which you are not intending to officialise with a marriage or civil union.

Marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .