I am a 13 year old. I am wanting to work at my town's local book shop. I live in Washington, USA. I can't find any online documents regarding if I can or cannot work there.

According to official D.O.L. documents, if you're 13 you can only work only on farming or other non harmful jobs. I was wondering if working at a produce store/book store is considered a "safe" job and if so, I can still get the minimum $7.25 pay since I am still working, right?

Also, the D.O.L. documents say overtime doesn't apply to farm jobs. Does the produce store job count as working on an "active farm", since the store does handle and process fruits, vegetables and farming related items but doesn't grow them.

  • You'd have to check Child Labor Laws in your state.
    – CDA
    May 19, 2021 at 18:46

1 Answer 1


According to the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries,

Under 14 years old In most cases, you need a superior court’s permission for minors under 14 to work. Minors under 14 who are allowed to work must follow the 14-15 year old requirements below.

Which may or may not be easy to get.


For Employers

Employers must complete and sign a Parent/School Authorization form before giving it to the teen’s parents and the school the teen attends for their signatures. The form must be renewed annually by Sept. 30.

Employers also must have a minor work permit. This permit is available from the state Department of Revenue/Business License Service and must be renewed every year.

Employers can obtain a minor work variance to extend daily and total hours per week with an application to L&I.

So there's some extra paperwork all-around.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .