Interning in a court, and I note that the defendant's brief once had a case dismissed because of potential overreach by the court, but that overreach would not injure the defendant's interests, it would injure others.

I feel like there's a legal or latin term for this kind of argumentation -- where you're acting as if injuries to someone else are actually injuries to you, and requesting relief for those injuries.

Does such a term exist, and if so what is it?


It sounds like you're thinking of third-party standing.

  • FYI: the poster of the question you recently commented on is a known troll who's posted these questions many times (see, for example, here, here, here, etc.). I'd recommend just flagging it as Rude/abusive to get it deleted (6 such flags will automatically remove the post).
    – Ryan M
    Jul 31 '21 at 3:21

Following on from bdb484's answer:

jus terti is the...

latin term meaning third-party standing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.