I intend to move overseas for a few years. I expect to return to the US periodically and will need a car when I do.

Can I purchase and license a car for my use in the US?

Can I use a post office box as an address for this?

  • In what state do you intend to keep the car?
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 5, 2021 at 14:19
  • Have you compared the price of owing to renting/leasing while you are in the US? Commented Jun 5, 2021 at 14:34
  • Probably Texas. Commented Jun 5, 2021 at 23:23

1 Answer 1


You may own a vehicle in Texas although you are not a US citizen nor residnt in the US. This page From ther Texas Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) gives some information, and has a link to the Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U) and its instructions.

The form specifically lists a passport issued by a non-US country as an acceptable form of ID. The form requires a mailing address, but neither the form nor its instructions specify that the address must be a residence, nor that it must be in Texas or the US. You could apparently list an address outside the US or use a PO Box. You can also list an email address for reminders, such as renewals. Thre web page suggests tjhat further question can be asked via a telephone call to (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000, or an email to [email protected]. Other information is available from this DMV site

If ther vehicle comes from outside Texas, the DMV page on "Out of State and Imported Vehicles" gives directions.

Registration requires current liability insurance, title does not, but it is not lawful to drive the vehicle without proper insurance. and registration

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .