I just arrived to the US (from May 31 2021) and I want to get an ITIN. I have F-2 visa which depends on my wife's F-1 student visa. I want to know can I apply for ITIN just by filling out and sending the form W7 to the IRS or I must fill out other forms like 1040? Because this is the first time I am in the US and I don't have any income history in the US.

EDIT: I read the W7 form and between the options it provides, I think I must choose option "g" that says: "Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa". But it also says: "Caution: If you check box b, c, d, e, f, or g, you must file a U.S. federal tax return with Form W-7 unless you meet one of the exceptions".

Also my friend told me I must wait until Jan 2022 then I can fill form 1040 and attach it to form W7, then I can apply for ITIN at that time but I can not do that before Jan 2020. Is what he told me true? If so, there is no faster way I can get ITIN?


1 Answer 1


Read https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/individual-taxpayer-identification-number-itin

To apply for an ITIN, submit to the IRS:

• Form W-7, “Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number”

• A certification letter (with applicant’s full name and SEVIS number)

• Copies of identity and foreign status documentation A copy of the Form I-20

• “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status”

• Other required documentation to meet the Form W-7 application requirement

Form 1040 is a tax return; you have no need to file that, and can't, as you don't have any income.

  • Thanks for answer, please read also the EDIT part.
    – user37953
    Jun 14, 2021 at 21:52
  • "Form 1040 is a tax return; you have no need to file that, and can't, as you don't have any income": you can file an income tax return and report zero income.
    – phoog
    Jun 14, 2021 at 21:54
  • 2
    Also as I am not a student I don't know how to get the second and furth letters?
    – user37953
    Jun 14, 2021 at 21:57

You must log in to answer this question.