First time in this exchange community, if my question needs editing please let me know.
I'm wondering is it legal to use/embed youtube videos on my own website (domain in canada). What the website does can be following scenarios:
- List down several workout videos from youtube, and let users select a video and then they can virtually workout with other peers by all following this video together through this website.
- Same as above, except it's education video that let user watch/study it together with others
- last one, also very similar, but it's a cooking class video where we let several people watch/learn to do it together
I tried to search up online regarding this topic, but I was getting a mixed answer:
- if the video provides a embed video link (i imagine the assumption here is that since the author/video creator provided the embedding link, that implies it's probably okay to share it, which in my case is embedding/showing the video on my website) and given you are not editing or claiming ownership on the video
- another sentiment i was seeing is that, since you are embedding youtube videos, that should be increasing the traffic for youtube and also the video creator as well, so they should be okay with it
it's not okay:
- you need to get direct/clear authorization to use the video (no matter how you use it), the issue we had with this is that, we tried to contact several authors of videos we wanted to use, but did not get response at all.
could someone shed some light on this?
Edit: what we mean by use or embed is,
- we take out the embedding link in the html generated by clicking on the
Embedbutton i.e. Go to regular youtube playing page,
Embed-> take out the link from the
srcattribute from the