I was researching a new process of producing polyethylene plastic in large quantities from renewable resources. Without getting too detailed, the process involves vaporizing ethanol and heating the gas under pressure in the presence of an aluminum-oxide catalyst to produce first ethene gas, and then finally, polyethylene. The process needs to start with highly pure distilled ethanol. I've looked around at what permit one would need to distill ethanol for this purpose, but I can't seem to find anything that would allow it. I've looked at 26 U.S.C. 5181 which allows distillation of alcohol but with the restriction "...to be used exclusively for fuel use.", and I have had trouble finding relevant information on the production of ethanol for industrial use. I have found some information on tax-free industrial alcohol, but that document clearly states that "Tax-Free alcohol may not be used in the manufacture of any product which will be sold..." What is the proper alcohol classification/permit to use in this case?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.