In the BC residential tenancy act, it states

This Act does not apply to... living accommodation in which the tenant shares bathroom or kitchen facilities with the owner of that accommodation

So if the owner of the house rents it out, but also lives in it, the tenants are no longer protected by the act? Does I understand this correctly? This seems a bit unfair, I've seen houses before where the landlord lives in a shared house and uses the same kitchen as the other tenants do.

Also does

Living accommodation owned or operated by an educational institution and provided by that institution to its students or employees

Mean that students living on a university campus aren't protected by the act?

  • The choice of the word "provided" is interesting. If it means rented by or leased to why not say that? I think it might be referring to a specific situation where housing is included in a price or compensation package.
    – jqning
    Feb 2, 2016 at 12:52

1 Answer 1


Yes, if you rent a room in the owner's house the act does not apply; there may be another one that does.

Similarly for student accommodation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .