Say I own website a.com, and this website is a streaming content website (People goes to watch Illegal movies and Series).

But the website itself is not hosting any of that content, it is only allowing the users to watch those "videos" through links from 3rd party sites (Dailymotion, Rutube, videome, etc..).

Is there any legal action that can be undertook against the website itself, or should they be made against the 3rd party, which is where the actual copyrighted content is hosted ?

The website is in some kind, helping the distribution of copyrighted content, but is not the one hosting and distributing it to begin with. The website has nothing else than links in it's hard disk and database.

Thoughts on such a situation ?

  • 1
    What jurisdiction is this in? For the US, have a look at what happened to Napster, who also didn't host or distribute any copyrighted content themselves, yet were still held liable for "contributory and vicarious infringement". – Nate Eldredge Feb 10 '16 at 15:26
  • This would be for Canada. Don't know if the law changes there, but looking at the Napster case, it looks like it was giving access to others people machine, unlike in my case, it's hosted by a 3rd party which are companies.. No clue if that changes the outcome – Stacknerd Feb 10 '16 at 15:32
  • 3
    @Stacknerd the law that broke Napster is embodied in the Berne convention and applies in most countries of the world including Canada – Dale M Feb 10 '16 at 20:41
  • 1
    It takes a lot of resources to sue another company. People, time, money. The list of illegal sites is endless. The people who have an interest to take them down have large but still limited resources. They focus on the largest and easiest ones. – jcaron Feb 10 '16 at 22:30
  • 1
    @Stacknerd This would answer that question: law.stackexchange.com/questions/2163/… – Zizouz212 Feb 10 '16 at 22:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.