I need to send a letter of demand to a person but I don't know his address. I only know his work address. This for a Small Claims Dispute (Less then $10K). I am in Australia.

I have his email and can get a read receipt.

Will this suffice the courts if I initiate a litigation process?

or do I still need to send the letter to his physical address?

1 Answer 1


You email it to them

However, if you want to take them to court, you need to issue a Statement of Claim, not a Letter of Demand. A letter of demand is not a court document and has no legal consequences other than, perhaps, being used as evidence in a subsequent action.

A Statement of Claim must be served in accordance with the court rules. Different rules apply to serving a statement of claim: ​​on an individual, on a company, on a business, on a partnership, or outside NSW. Email service is not acceptable (without leave of the court).

  • Thank you I haven't looked further. But isn't a Letter of Demand a must? This person owes me money. Aug 27, 2021 at 4:14
  • Nope. You can go invoice -> court if you want. Assuming it's a liquidated debt. I can screw up and throw away a letter of demand without any consequences. I can do it with a Statement of Claim too but there will be consequences.
    – Dale M
    Aug 27, 2021 at 4:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .