Supose that a person A is an international student in the US. A has an idea and like to launch a company on that. I know A doesn't have a work permission but also believe that A can register a company and invest in it.

So can A legally register a new company, do crowdfunding to raise funds for it, then hire people to work for the company?

  • 1
    I've voted to close as "questions that clearly ask for specific legal advice are off-topic" but I will reconsider if/when it is suitably edited to make the question more generic and less specific.
    – user35069
    Sep 17, 2021 at 6:17
  • 2
    @RockApe There's no need to nitpick here. Yes the question uses "I" rather than "Bob" but it is generic, not fact-specific.
    – Greendrake
    Sep 17, 2021 at 6:55
  • Worth considering, although not exactly a duplicate. law.stackexchange.com/questions/66851/… and law.stackexchange.com/questions/67499/…
    – ohwilleke
    Sep 17, 2021 at 23:16

1 Answer 1


Yes and No.

Crowdfunding is basically just inviting people to invest. No work permission is needed for it, so the answer to this is Yes.

However, managing the funds and hiring people to work is work. You would need to appoint a director with work permission to do it. So, the answer to this is No.

You must log in to answer this question.