I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'm in the process of buying my first house and I need a document, called the ISEE ("Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator"), in order to get a lower interest rate on the mortgage (and pay less taxes).

To get the ISEE document, some other documents are needed. The majority are in regard to the financial situation of the whole familiy, including my parents.

The problem is that they are unwilling the give me those documents (or give them directly to the state body the calculates the ISEE, if for some reason they don't trust me).

Is there any way I can force them to produce those documents?

I'm based in Italy and I don't really care about remaining on good terms with my parents.

  • 2
    "don't really care about remaining in good terms with my parents": it seems you are already on not-so-good terms with your parents. Is there some history here that might affect answers to this question?
    – phoog
    Feb 23, 2022 at 13:32
  • @phoog mmmh not really. I mean, there is some personal stuff, but it would be off-topic. I just need those documents, and i think i'm not the first person with this kind of problem. My reasoning is that there has to be a way to get out of this situation without some workaround.
    – Yeeter
    Feb 23, 2022 at 13:39
  • 4
    @Yeeter a bit of frame challenge: in Poland if you no longer have a relationship with your parents and you function effectively as a separate household under the same roof, then you can claim that and you no longer need parents financial statements. Maybe similar mechanism is in your law, too?
    – Mołot
    Feb 23, 2022 at 14:32
  • @Mołot eh, i called the CAF, which is the state body that gives you the ISEE document. They said that the only other thing i can do is change residency, but i prefer not to do that until i have the new house
    – Yeeter
    Feb 23, 2022 at 15:05
  • 1
    My mother refused to fill out the FAFSA (US financial document for parents and students that's used to calculate parental contribution and how much financial aid for college) because she didn't want to document her finances. Maybe your parents feel similarly.
    – mkennedy
    Feb 24, 2022 at 3:44


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .