Following illegal eviction there may be civil damages under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, but there may also be Rent Repayment Orders under the Housing and Planning Act 2016.

These are two examples of statutorily prescribed civil remedies but does one being pursued or obtained preclude others being separately claimed?

  • I don't know enough to offer an answer, but my basic understanding is that one cannot be awarded damages more that their loss(e.g. twice).
    – user35069
    Commented Mar 18, 2022 at 20:45
  • Yet RROs are not a form of damages as such, but rather just what they say on the tin, and a seemingly separate form of punitive penalty to disincentivise unscrupulous conduct. Commented Mar 19, 2022 at 8:55


You must log in to answer this question.