I currently hold the German Permanent Resident status. I am taking up a job in a non-European country, but may get back to Germany at a later point (in a few years). Is it possible for me to maintain my PR until that time? What are the basic requirements?

2 Answers 2


Is it possible for me to maintain my PR until that time?

No. Not really.

Nevertheless, previous times in Germany will contribute to your reapplication.

What are the basic requirements?

I’d say, if you definitely intend to eventually return and already got some substantial “social sphere” in Germany, simply travel every 6 months to Germany. Legally, all you need is the entry stamp in your passport. Many people around the globe do this (for various countries), so it’s not an unusual practice.

  • Thank you, traveling every 6 months would not be easily possible for me. What is the best way to contact a lawyer regarding this in Germany? Mar 27, 2022 at 10:52
  • All practicing lawyers are compulsory members of a/the bar association, 12 Ⅲ BRAO. The respective local bar association maintains a directory of lawyers and feeds their data to the National Register of Lawyers, 31 BRAO. In principle any lawyer can assist you, but if there are too many lawyers for your location, you may choose „Migrationsrecht“ as “Professional subtitle”. Language proficiency is not recorded in the directory, but the respective lawyer’s website usually indicates “unusual” languages (i. e. other than German or English). Mar 27, 2022 at 11:33
  • Most Embassies will have a list of lawyers that claims they speak that country's language (e.g at the French consulate in Berlin has a list of French-speaking lawyers de.ambafrance.org/…) Mar 27, 2022 at 12:56
  • No, those are German lawyers but French-speaking, they aren't French-juridiction lawyers @phoog Mar 29, 2022 at 6:15
  • @NicolasFormichella yes, I see that I was confused. I was thinking of the German embassy in France rather than the French embassy in Germany. I have deleted my comment.
    – phoog
    Mar 29, 2022 at 7:22

An unbefristete Aufenthaltserlaubnis generally lapses after 6 months absence. The Blue Card EU generally lapses after 12 months absence. But there are exceptions. This may be extended if the absence is in the interest of Germany, which may include the interests of German industry. You should definitely check your specific case with a specialized lawyer in Germany before you leave.

  • How do I prove the interest of Germany? What do I need to file (and where?) I am in an academic job (Asst. Prof.) if it changes anything. Mar 27, 2022 at 9:09
  • 2
    @RahulGopinath, talk to a lawyer where you live.
    – o.m.
    Mar 27, 2022 at 9:40
  • What is the best way to arrange for a consultation (in English) with a lawyer in Germany? any online websites I can look up? Mar 27, 2022 at 10:03
  • @RahulGopinath, any lawyer's office should speak enough English to say if they do consult in English. As to selecting one, sorry, I'm not qualified to answer that one.
    – o.m.
    Mar 27, 2022 at 13:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .