Assume the following situation:

  • foreign national in the US
  • working visa (e.g. H1-B)
  • living permanently in the US, no other address, paying all taxes in the US
  • savings account in home country (Europe)
  • savings account incurs interest

Is there a threshold for declaring the interest incurred in a foreign country (income) when filing a US tax report?

1 Answer 1


No, there is no threshold.

You may be thinking of the threshold for reporting foreign accounts:

In addition to reporting your worldwide income, you must also report on your U.S. tax return whether you have any foreign bank or investment accounts.

This is required if

The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.



You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .