My terminally ill mother is seeking to name me as general power of attorney. It's something we've discussed before but now it's time to pull that trigger. She's currently out of state (Texas) receiving medical treatment but will be in the state we live in this weekend. Come Monday we're both traveling to Texas so she can continue treatment and I'll be caretaker.

I've read this question and it seems like we can fill out a form and get it notarized as long as we satisfy our state's requirements for POA forms. Would we be able to get it notarized out of state together or should we try to find a notary Monday morning before we travel so it's in our state? It'd be much easier to do it later in the week instead of rushing over the weekend.

New contributor
Lux Claridge is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

1 Answer 1


A power of attorney can be signed and notarized anywhere. It is better if it conforms to the requirements of the state in which the principal (the person granting the power) lives. But it does not have to be signed in that state, although it often is.

In some cases a particular institution, such as a bank or a broker, may have its own form which it wants in addition tom the PoA itself before it accepts and acts on a PoA. Or it may want to retain a duplicate original of the PoA in its files. It is a good idea to ask any such firm what is requirements for honoring a PoA are, and comply if possible.

Your Answer

Lux Claridge is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.