My mom had a stroke a few months ago and I need to file for conservatorship as I understand it. She is not mentally capable to making decisions at this point nor taking care of herself; she is currently in a nursing home. I need to sell her property in the next 13 months because of Medicaid.

My siblings are all on board with this and my next plan is to get a lawyer, but I am not sure where I should get a lawyer.

Will we file with the Probate courts in the county where she lived prior to her stroke or in the county where I reside and she is currently?

EDIT: So this post may be of help to people in the future... I needed written confirmation from the county where her home was located that the probate court was relinquishing jurisdiction over the case; the county where I filed continued the case because they needed that in writing. Also, I basically was told by the court that I had to get a lawyer because I needed to sell my mom's real estate and that it would be very difficult for a lay-person to successful do a land sale. Also, I couldn't find a bonding company that would bond me (even with GREAT credit) until I had a lawyer.


You need to apply to be a guardian, not a conservator. A conservator can be appointed by someone who's competent only, and you've stated that she isn't. I'm not sure that you need a lawyer yet, but your first step may be to read this PDF, a guide to guardianship published by the office of the Ohio Attorney General.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.