MBTA is the transit agency for Greater Boston, Massachussetts, USA.
The website for the Massachusetts State Transportation Library contains many old MBTA maps and other transit-related items. A user on Flickr has collected a number of these maps, one of which is reproduced below.
I would like to use one of these old maps for a project (which may end up being commercial).
- What is the copyright status of these maps?
- Are they in the public domain?
- Can I use them commercially?
- What if I modify them (mostly by removing/changing text for artistic purposes)?
- Does the year of the map matter?