Looking at houses, we have found one that has been completely redone (footings to rafters in many places) but without permits for the most part. The original house was from 1908, it was redone and added onto in the 1970s, and the current owner redid nearly everything in the 2000s-2010s. I know the owner so I'm not personally worried about the work (he also had plumbers/electricians out for work outside his expertise).
We like the house, but I'm worried about the future implications of trying to sell a house of entirely un-permitted work. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? Here are some sub-questions related to things I'm most concerned about, but any related experience is welcome.
- Are there any legal implications with a lot of un-permitted work on a home?
- i.e. would I be responsible for permits/fines if any?
- Will not having permits be a "non-starter" for any processes? I.e. mortgage, insurance, valuation, etc.?
- Will not having permits reduce the value of my home?
- Will having lots of unpermitted work make it harder for me to sell the home at a later date?
- If I want to ger a permit for work I want to do on the home, will there be complications?