I want to do a thesis paper involving illegal online resources. I don't want to be persecuted for these things though. What are some of the steps I would need to take to legitimately go about researching said illegal areas of the internet. Who would I need to contact to gain permission to legally research these sources without any legal ramifications?

  • I think you have to be a bit more specific about the illegal activity. Certain viewpoints are illegal in certain countries but there are subversive websites breaking the law; there are sites that massively infringe copyright; there is child porn; there is trading in top secret information. I assume you're talking about infringment sites. Or, is it that you want to research a totally different topic and plan to use illegally-obtained material, on the theory that if it's for research it's okay? A bit of clarification would be useful. – user6726 May 7 '16 at 14:14
  • 1
    I think you mean you don't want to be prosecuted. Being persecuted would mean being targeted for gross discrimination. – Paul Johnson Oct 1 '19 at 18:35

You would start by seeking permission from your academic institution. If they approve it then they should employ their legal counsel to create a safe harbor for your work.


Typically the Attorney General in the relevant jurisdiction can grant this sort of permission.

  • Although an AG cannot grant permission to violate copyright, or to break the law. They might be able to give advice about whether X is / is not legal. There's also the problem that there can be AGs for state and federal jurisdiction. – user6726 May 8 '16 at 14:10
  • In retrospect this isn't surprising, but state AGs are generally prohibited from giving opinions to private citizens: only select state officials have standing. An analogous restriction holds on the federal AG, which only responds to the executive branch. – user6726 May 8 '16 at 23:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.