I have just moved into a new flat and as soon as I entered I took a video and noticed that the flat has never been cleaned after the last tenant left. I also took a note of all the issues there were not visible when I viewed the flat. I am mainly looking for answers for the 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 points.
- One window could not open but this has now been resolved.
- The house was dirty with dust, spider nets and mould.
- Some light bulbs were not working.
- The fridge makes a lot of noise and smells inside.
- It was not painted, looked a bit black/yellow and it had an odour possibly due to previous tenants smoking.
- The boiler was not working and a person came the next day to fix
- The bathroom curtain is rusty and filthy. They had another one when I viewed the flat.
- Some doors would not open and a guy came to fix them.
- Most door and window handles are about to snap. I have informed them to avoid being blamed for damage.
- The sink drains were blocked and a guy came to fix them.
- The washing machine seal has mould all over it. I tried cleaning it but it does not go. I consider that to be a hazard and I mentioned that I have a history of asthma. The agent told me that I have to try and clean it.
- The contract does not mention it but they sent me a different PDF stating "Your hot water and heating have been set up on a British Gas Bulk Agreement.". What does that mean?
- They have not informed about the water meter reference.
- I have found a few ants in the house and I have informed them to bring a pest control company to clean.
- The blinds are broken and they cannot make the rooms dark enough for an epileptic person to sleep.
So, I listed all the issues, even the resolved ones. Regarding 2, I assume there is no responsibility as the contract did not mention anything about cleaning. How about number 7, 11 and 15? Isn't it their responsibility to keep the flat at health and safety standards? And about number 13, should I just call Thames and ask for it? I wonder if I can actually break the lease after this list of issues.
PS: They have provided me with the following documents. I am noting that in case they missed any that could be used against them: Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), Gas Safety Certificate (GSC), Tenancy Agreement.