The Ontario government web page tells you how to go to City Hall or a Municipal Office and get a marriage license. However, it doesn't say you can go to whatever municipality you feel like, nor does it tell you how to choose.

If a couple are both living in City A, and the ceremony will be in City B, must they get their license from A or B? Does it matter? If they both work in C and it's easier to stop by the C offices at lunchtime, is that OK? Or could there be a problem if the certificate was issued by the "wrong" municipality?


Any municipality is fine

In addition, they could get married in a different province and it would be a valid marriage in Ontario. They could also get married in a different country with which Canada has agreed to honour their marriages (i.e. most of them) unless they offend Canadian law (e.g. bigamy, child marriage etc.)

| improve this answer | |
  • I am aware that marriages in one province are recognized in another. But I doubt they could show up in Manitoba with an Ontario marriage license and have the ceremony. That's my issue, where to get the license they will use in City B. – Kate Gregory May 26 '16 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.