In the US, undocumented students can apply to universities. If one such student is accepted and enrolled but later deported due to not being covered by DACA or other reasons, will their enrollment be cancelled? That is, will they have to begin the admission process again like a first-time student? If not, if they make it back to the US (il)legally, can they resume their studies where they left off?

  • Wouldn't the student complete an application to the University, and in the process of doing so, become documented? Sep 28, 2023 at 15:20
  • This is entirely up to each educational institution's admissions office. No federal immigration law governs this issue, private educational institutions have no legal regulation in this regard, and in most states, this is up to the governing bodies of public educational institutions.
    – ohwilleke
    Sep 28, 2023 at 15:24
  • 3
    I’m voting to close this question because it is a question about university policy and not law.
    – ohwilleke
    Sep 28, 2023 at 17:36
  • @MichaelHall not really. DACA recipients have more rights than people in student status. A DACA beneficiary who changed to student status would basically be committing to leaving the US at the end of their studies. Someone who is in the US illegally is also likely to be barred from obtaining nonimmigrant status as a student or otherwise.
    – phoog
    Sep 28, 2023 at 22:38
  • @phoog, my question has nothing to do with various rights afforded to those in certain categories, it's about the inappropriateness of the euphemism "undocumented" in the case of someone who's status is actually well documented. Sep 28, 2023 at 22:54

1 Answer 1


No law requires the expulsion of a student who is deported while enrolled in classes, nor any law forbidding enrolling a student lacking in the appropriate immigration paperwork. It is possible that some college has such a policy. Here is the code of conduct section for one university stating under what circumstances on can be expelled, so you can see that this place can't expel you for being deported.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .