Someone went to my bank they didn't have no check or my debit card they used it with withdrawal slip at the drive-thru and stole money like on four different trips and the bank isn't reimbursing my money what is my area of recourse

  • 1
    Welcome to Law SE. Unfortunately, we cannot give legal advice on specific cases. Laws differ from country to country, and each case is different. You need a lawyer. In many places, lawyers offer an initial consultation for free, elsewhere you would have to pay a modest fee.
    – o.m.
    Commented Nov 18, 2023 at 17:31
  • A withdrawal slip? I suggest you use a different bank that has 21st-century methods. Withdraw all the money from the first present bank right away, before they take the rest of it. Commented Nov 18, 2023 at 19:07
  • Did you fie a police report? In what country did this happen?
    – gatorback
    Commented Nov 18, 2023 at 20:35
  • In us in florida Commented Nov 20, 2023 at 20:25

1 Answer 1


Since this is an in-person withdrawal and not an electronic fund transfer, this is covered by state law and terms of the contract. The contract will not disavow bank liability in case a person forges a signature. The customer has a duty to report the unauthorized signature in a timely fashion, see here. The bank does make a warranty that they won't knowingly pay an altered or unauthorized instrument, but the onus is on the customer to establish that there is a forgery.

If you wait too long to file a formal complaint, you are out of luck. Of course it depends on what country you are in, whether the banking laws offer any protection.

  • Which country does this answer apply to? I can guess, but it would be easier if you edited it in.
    – o.m.
    Commented Nov 19, 2023 at 10:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .