I'd like to start a home business repackaging food in New York State in the US. For example, let's say I'm buying 10kg bags of rice from the supermarket and I want to put them into jars each containing 250g.

I started on the assumption that the state would not approve if I started doing that without any permits, so I went to Google.

The New York State Small Business Development Center has a guide that I think addresses this very issue. This suggests on page 55 that, to start a home food business in New York, I need a 20-C license from the Department of Agriculture, and also that I don't need to register with the FDA as I'm operating from my home.

I also found this page at the Department of Health, but it seems to be a registration system for restaurants, not food processors.

So, is the 20-C all I need for home food reprocessing? Or am I better off scheduling a meeting with the Small Business Development Corporation and then self-answering this question?

  • 1
    If this can be edited into a more general question, please feel free to do so - I want this to be useful for everyone in NY who wants to start a similar business.
    – dsolimano
    Jul 7, 2015 at 12:53
  • 2
    Good research so far! I would recommend you take that meeting and then self-answer the question.
    – feetwet
    Jul 7, 2015 at 17:04
  • Not sure so didn't answer but what about the following: Food Service Establishment (FSE) permit, Food Processor license, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Facility Registration, Label Approval.
    – Smith
    Feb 7, 2023 at 17:54


You must log in to answer this question.