New answers tagged


You need the valid permission of the copyright holder. The publisher may actually be the copyright holder, if the author sold the book including the copyright, so then obviously you need permission of the publisher. The author could have signed a contract that gives the publisher the exclusive rights to create French and Italian translations, so you could ...


It depends It depends what rights the author sold to the publisher and what rights they didn’t. The author would need to review their contract to see who has the right to authorise translations.


It depends on the terms of the license(s) If the copyright owner has given exclusive rights to translate into French to all content it produces into French and then issues a license to a third party which allows them to also make a translation, then it has broken its contract with the translator. This would allow the translator to sue the owner for damages ...

Top 50 recent answers are included