I am filling out an affidavit of personal service, "Form D," found at http://www.sro.nysed.gov/forms/default.html

For the most part, the fill-in-the-blanks parts look pretty straightforward. The top part of the page is where I'm unsure. Where it says "County of" -- I can do that. Is there anything else to be filled out in that top area? For example, "ss.:"?

Question also about the part that says, "by delivering to and leaving with said __________________________ (receiver of papers)": Do I write in the name of the employee (person) served?


Yes, you write in the name of the person actually served.

Keep in mind that a party to an action (e.g. the Plaintiff) is not allowed to serve process in that case. It must be served by a person eighteen or older who is not a party and is not an attorney in the case. It sounds as if you might be serving process in a case in which you are the Plaintiff and if so, that is not O.K., you need to find a friend, or hire a "process server" or a sheriff's deputy to deliver the papers. And, the person who serves the papers, rather than the party, must sign the affidavit before a notary.

The language "ss." is a Latin abbreviation stands for “scilicet” which means "in particular" or "namely" and simply indicates where the venue information on a certificate is located. For your purposes it means, this affidavit was signed in the state and county immediately preceding this abbreviation and requires no further elaboration.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks but I knew about the 18 or older uninvolved person. // I am taking your answer to mean that the only thing I need write in the top portion of the page is the name of the county. – aparente001 Dec 15 '16 at 4:41
  • Yes. That's what I'm saying. – ohwilleke Dec 15 '16 at 5:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.