In the US, does a parent have any heightened duty of care to a grown child than that of an adult stranger to another adult?

  • 1
    I don't understand your question. Could you rephrase it in proper English? What does "grown child" mean to you? – gnasher729 Sep 30 '17 at 11:55
  • Looks like there is a typo or mistaken choice of word. I can't make sense of what is being asked either. – ohwilleke Sep 30 '17 at 19:16
  • 3
    I think it asks whether an adult (18+) parent has a higher duty of care to his/her adult child than does Adult A to unrelated Adult B. – A.fm. Sep 30 '17 at 21:43
  • 2
    A.fm. that's exactly right. I hope my edit helps. Sorry for the sloppy original typing – J. Doe Oct 1 '17 at 13:17
  • 1
    Ah . . . that make more sense. – ohwilleke Oct 1 '17 at 22:42


Financial aid programs presume a parental contribution and will deny any aid to students whose parents don't cooperate in the process unless they qualify as "independent" (e.g. if they are married).

A parent generally has an obligation to support an adult child who suffers from a disability that prevents them from functioning.

But, generally speaking, parents have few legal obligations to their adult children.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Thanks for your answer ohwilleke. Do you happen to have any references available for the obligation for support in case of disability? – J. Doe Oct 2 '17 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.