My company moved to a new address. I notified all my clients. One client continues to pay invoices at the old address despite many many requests to update the address. It has been over 6 months now. Eventually, I expect that USPS will no longer forward mail from my old address to the new one.

At what point can my client be held liable for sending payments to the wrong address? It appears to be intentional since requests to update the address are systematically ignored, causing delays in payments.

  • 5
    What do you mean by "held liable" here? What law do you think they may be breaking? If you no longer receive their payments then you have the usual recourse for any unpaid accounts. As a practical matter, have you simply tried calling and talking to your contact(s) at this company personally?
    – jwh20
    Feb 1 at 13:47
  • @jwh20 I think the OP is worried if that they take action against the client for unpaid invoices, that the client will turn around and say "We did pay it, not our problem"
    – Peter M
    Feb 1 at 17:51
  • 3
    I get that, but a mailed check to the wrong address is unlikely to be viewed as "paid" in most cases.
    – jwh20
    Feb 1 at 17:58
  • 1
    I worked for a company whose payments sometimes didn't arrive, and the reason was the (one) person in their accounts department was writing cheques to her son. When found out she was jailed for fraud. So watch out that this isn't a set-up for a similar scam. Contact someone in their company who does not work in the accounts department. Feb 1 at 18:54
  • 1
    @WeatherVane It's also worth noting that payment info and address changes can be a scam too. A fraudster sends a fake e-mail or fax asking address, payee information, or bank account numbers to be changed to something they control.
    – user71659
    Feb 1 at 23:00

1 Answer 1


If they don’t pay you, you can sue them

They haven’t paid you by sending a check to an incorrect address.

  • 1
    I think it's more complicated than that. A contract often has a procedure to give notice, so the OP would have to ensure that is followed with sufficient evidence. For example, they may have to send a letter detailing the change certified mail return receipt requested to a particular address.
    – user71659
    Feb 1 at 21:26
  • @user71659, I'll have to go back to the contract to see if certified mail is required. I have notified them by email and by phone already.
    – Omar
    Feb 2 at 15:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .