The title should be relatively self-explanatory. Do mature minors (aged 16 or older) have a legal right to privately consult with a medical professional, free from the involvement of a parent, guardian, or some other individual in loco parentis?

If there exists any applicable state law, Minnesota is my area of concern.

2 Answers 2


The answer from User6726 is true, but it leaves out some things. The minor may consent to medical treatment if he/she is living apart from the parents and managing his/her own finances. (Minn. Stat. § 144.341)

The full list of things a minor can consent to aside from that, are as follows:

  • to determine the presence of or to treat pregnancy and conditions associated with pregnancy

  • for sexually transmitted infections

  • for alcohol or other drug abuse (Minn. Stat. § 144.343, subd. 1)

  • hepatitis B vaccinations (Minn. Stat. § 144.3441) and

  • blood donation (only those 17 and over; a 16-year-old can donate with written consent from a parent or guardian) (Minn. Stat. § 145.41).

  • Health services may be provided to minors without the consent of a parent if, in the health professional’s judgment, treatment should be given without delay, and if obtaining consent would result in delay or denial of treatment

That list and a few other items can be found here: https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssminorhc.pdf

  • Does the minor's ability to consent to these procedures necessarily imply that they have to be kept confidential from the parents after the fact?
    – brhans
    May 15, 2019 at 16:43
  • HIPPA rules would say that the records are private in the minor is allowed to consent, but MN has a law saying that if not notifying the parent would cause serious harm the parent should be notified. revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/144.346
    – Putvi
    May 15, 2019 at 16:46
  • Why specifically hepatitis B, and not other vaccinations?
    – Vikki
    Feb 10, 2022 at 4:21

If the minor is legally able to consent to the treatment, the parents do not have any rights to the minor's treatment. The Consent of Minors for Health Services says when that is the case – living apart, married, have given birth, also for diagnosing pregnancy, substance abuse, "veneral disease", Hep-B vaccination (there is an abortion-related counter-command). If, for example, a minor wanted to be examined for a sprained ankle, that is not covered by the various minor-consent laws, so a parent/guardian would have to give consent, and would be entitled to be present during the consultation.

  • 1
    This covers some but not all cases.
    – Putvi
    May 15, 2019 at 16:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .