Under the eligibility rules for applying for a UK residence card:

You can apply for a residence card if you’re both:

from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) the family member, or extended family member, of an EEA national who is a permanent resident or ‘qualified person’

I am from outside the European Economic Area but I have relative members: my aunt, uncle and cousin who are Netherlands citizens. My aunt is a former Malayisian (now should be considered as Dutch after more than 30 years living in Netherlands), while my uncle and cousin are Dutch.

So am I eligible for a UK residence card? But they don't live in the UK. They live in Netherlands.

But this is unclear: extended family member, of an EEA national who is a permanent resident - is it a permanent resident of UK or of any country of EEA?

  • The residence card evidences one's right to live in the UK under directive 2004/38/UK. That right depends on having an EU (or EEA or Swiss) relative living in the UK, as well as having a relationship that qualifies under the directive. With an aunt, uncle, or cousin, the relationship would qualify only if you are dependent on the relative, or a member of the relative's household. So even if your Dutch relative were to move to the UK, you wouldn't likely qualify for a residence card. (Also, your aunt won't automatically be Dutch just for having lived there for a long time.)
    – phoog
    Oct 17, 2016 at 15:00

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately they need to be both an EU citizen and a permanent resident of the UK.

  • 1
    Or they can be a "qualified person" -- which also implies residence in the UK.
    – phoog
    Oct 17, 2016 at 14:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .